Henry B. Handler
- Founding Partner
Henry B. Handler is a founding partner of Weiss, Handler & Cornwell, P.A. His primary practice areas are real estate transaction law, emphasizing both commercial and residential closings, land development, land use, commercial and real estate litigation, and condominium and planned development law. Along with his partner Howard Weiss, Henry has litigated some of South Florida’s largest construction defects cases with historic judgments and settlements. Henry has represented both corporate and individual clients before public agencies, counties, municipalities and public bodies regarding land development and property owner rights. His representation often starts when a project is a concept proposed for vacant or under-utilized property and continues until desired development rights are vested and building permits are obtained. He has also represented municipalities and the Palm Beach County School District in both transactional matters and litigation.
Henry attended Princeton University and was awarded his A.B. degree magna cum laude. While at Princeton, Henry received the M. Taylor Pyne Honor Prize, the University’s highest general undergraduate award for academic excellence, extra-curricular achievement, and community service. He received his Juris Doctor Degree from the University of Virginia School of Law.
Henry has been appointed as special appellate assistant attorney general for the State of Florida by Florida’s Attorney General, and has been appointed by circuit court judges to serve as general master and curator in divorce and probate litigation involving significant property interests. He has conducted numerous seminars on real estate, condominium and homeowner association law and practices.
In addition to the practice of law, Henry previously served as Chairman of the Palm Beach County Democratic Executive Committee, as a member on the Palm Beach County Land Use Advisory Commission, and the Florida Beach Access Advisory Council in addition to Bar organizations.
Areas Of Practice
- Real Estate
- General Litigation
- Florida, 1978
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 1979
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1982
- University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, Virginia
- J.D. – 1978
- Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey
- A.B. – 1975
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Arvida Realty Sales, Inc. v. William R. Tinnerman & Co., Inc., 536 So. 2d 1041 (Fla. 4th DCA 1988)
- City of Delray Beach v. Dharma Properties, Inc., 809 So. 2d 35 (Fla. 4th DCA 2002), cause dismissed, 828 So. 2d 385 (Fla. 2002)
- Rectory Park, L.C. v. City of Delray Beach, 208 F. Supp. 2d 1320 (S.D. Fla. 2002), aff'd sub nom. Rectory Park v. City of Delray Beach, FL., 82 Fed. Appx. 221 (11th Cir. 2003)
- Winkelman v. Toll, 752 So. 2d 1273 (Fla. 4th DCA 2000)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Florida Beach Access Advisory Council, Member, 1987 to 1988
- Palm Beach County Land Use Advisory Board, Member, 1987 to 1988
- Palm Beach County, Legislative Liaison Committee, Member, 1987 to 1989
- South Palm Beach County Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- The Florida Bar, Condominium and Planned Development Committee, Member, 1987